Sunday 7 August 2011

The Corrennie Sphere



As I only really have this month to offer to the project( which has stretched almost a year longer than anticipated), and have other commitments at the end of the month, I was pretty concerned that only one block had been cut when I arrived. Fyfe Glenrock have understandably had to prioritise larger contracts which often have penalty clauses attached if the deadlines are not met. To add to the pressure one of the two main cutting saws has broken down and a part needs to be sent from Italy which I am informed 'has gone on holiday for a month', so the capacity to cut blockstone has been halved.
To the credit of the yard manager, my stones are put back at the front of the queue to the saw and I then again have the nerve racking time of waiting to see what the cuts will reveal on the inside of the stone.
The corrennie stone looks sound, and after a number of cuts to reduce its awkward shape to some kind of cylindar, is offered to the machine lathe which has been specially adapted to cope with its mass. There are one or two hiccups, but mission is accomplished...

No comments:

Post a Comment