Wednesday 10 August 2011

Chip off the old block


Another day of rain ..however it certainly keeps any rioters off the streets.. though actually I am not aware of any major troubles in Scottish cities...it seems police officers from Grampian are being shipped down to the Midlands to fill in for the ones from there sent to swell the numbers in London.
But I digress... leaps and bounds today in the workshop. I am on the final furlong of the Pitcaple stone..... the Corrennie sphere is ready for stage 2 and I need to get out my calculator and compasses.... and the Craiglash stone has been cut like an enormous diamond and will be offered to the lathe tomorrow. Everyone is wondering how it will go. The stone itself looks absolutely stunning... almost a big bang moment suspended.. I hope we can do it justice.
The image above shows an offcut from the process.
Met with the FGR Director, the Oldmeldrum public art project manager and Aberdeenshire Council Public Arts officer today...and mercifully, we are within budget, (and I might even get an interim payment soon- she says- laughing into the fangs of the canines at the door!)
I would like to see a small publication produced about the project, for all the folk who are not willing to trawl through a blog, and hope someone can find a few pounds to pay for a modest print run.
Royal Academician John Maine is also in the yard assembling a collection of stone pieces for installation at the Royal Academy in London late Nov... just along the corridor from Degas.
21.48pm... its still raining...

No comments:

Post a Comment